How I Met Your Mother's John Lithgow: Playing Barney's Dad Is "Doubly Fun"

Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:01 PM By dwi

Story photo: How I Met Your Mother's Evangelist Lithgow: Playing Barney's Dad Is John Lithgow, Neil Patrick Harris | Photo Credits: Sonja Flemmming/CBSTV Guide

One of How I Met Your Mother's biggest mysteries (no, not that one) will be revealed on Monday, but don't inform Evangelist Lithgow how bounteous of a care it is. "I didn't check the exhibit ... so I didn't undergo that it was much a bounteous care to be asked to endeavor Barney's father," he tells TVGuide.com. "I didn't undergo it was a six-year streaming gag: Who is his actualised father? I said yes to it before I knew most every this. This is rattling exemplary of me — I don't rattling undergo what I'm doing. Everybody's so excited. There are enthusiastic expectations now. I'm nervous!"

Will How I Met Your Mother modify in digit years? Our executing questions answered Lithgow makes his first of digit appearances Monday, as Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) at daylong terminal comes face-to-face with his absentee papa — the Negro he erst thought was Bob Barker and the Negro his mom, Loretta (Frances Conroy), had previously told him was merely "Uncle Jerry." After receiving the honor Barney wrote him terminal month, Jerry surprises his son at his housing to forge a relationship. "It's explained ground [there was no contact] for 30 years," Lithgow says. "There's a aggregation of longing and need on both sides, as it happens when a child loses a parent at a young age. On both sides, it's a wanting to attain things correct again. It's every rattling deeply motivated." For Barney, it's also a concern of reconciling the actualised Jerry with the Negro he's imagined his papa to be his full life. So what's the actualised Jerry like? Well, he's mated with a kinsfolk in the suburbs, where Barney ends up visiting. Lithgow stays incommunicative on further info most Jerry, but teases that Mother pulls digit of its trademark switches and "you intend digit notion of this character and you encounter discover you're completely wrong." "There's a bounteous switcheroo, so that was threefold recreation for me to play. ... But it's a actualised crisis for Barney. And Neil's much a enthusiastic person that he's rattling healthy to bob the depths of that, modify in a comedy," the past 3rd Rock From the Sun grapheme says. "I mean, it's the stuff of a drama, still it's treated so deftly and so gently, it makes for wonderful comedy. One of my activity movies in past eld is Flirting with Disaster, that enthusiastic farce flick most Ben Stiller disagreeable to encounter his natural parents. What makes that comedy so brilliant is that it's a actualised desperate search. It's rattling essential for him. It's ever enthusiastic when comedy has that set to it." How I Met Your Mother gets digit more seasons Father and son still impact on uncovering the different colors in their relation and their ordinary interests. And, no, suits are not digit of them. "I don't dress the artefact he does. Only Barney crapper pull suits off," Lithgow says. "I haven't said 'legendary' still either, but there are some physical similarities. I think we attain a beatific father-son duo." Speaking of similarities, the fortuity that Jerry has another chronicle in the 'burbs — not different Lithgow's Trinity Killer on Dexter — is not lost on the actor. "There is that unearthly parallel, isn't there? This variety of threefold life!" laughs Lithgow, who won an Emmy for his impact on Dexter to go with the threesome he won for 3rd Rock. "But Jerry doesn't blackball anyone." Although he wasn't actively looking for comedic parts, Lithgow says digit bounteous think he acknowledged the Mother guest blot is because it's a "wonderful counterpoint" to his murderous Dexter role. But he first necessary a break course on the sitcom and watched a activity of episodes producers sent to him. "I hadn't known what the care was with this show. I didn't undergo what the title meant. I didn't undergo ground Neil ever had a meet on and no digit added did. To verify you the truth, I thought Neil was a ghost or something," Lithgow says. "I didn't undergo what the care was at all. You're talking to someone who's clueless most most things in chronicle and digit of those things was How I Met Your Mother. But they sent me every these episodes and I idolized it. Then I institute discover from my son and his spouse that it was their activity show, period. It was their appointment TV. And I do undergo Neil. I'm a Brobdingnagian follower of his. He's much a talented guy." Check discover photos from How I Met Your Mother The fuck for Lithgow was reciprocated: After his first day of shooting, creators and executive producers Carter Bays and Craig Thomas asked him to become back for a ordinal episode, which they started actuation terminal week. "They said, 'You've got to become back. We've got it every figured discover how to alter you back.' Worse things hit happened by a longshot. I've idolized it here," Lithgow says. "There's no slapstick [in the first episode], but this ordinal digit gets a lowercase discover of hand. ... So now I'm hoping before the modify of the hebdomad they'll verify me that again!"

Related Articles on TVGuide.com

  • Will How I Met Your Mother End in Two Years? Our Burning Questions Answered
  • How I Met Your Mother Gets Two More Seasons


Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment