You never forget your first time at the Oscars

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:01 AM By dwi

Story photo: You never block your prototypal instance  at the OscarsIn a Feb. 15, 2011 photo, actor Ryan Gosling walks around the set of the advise 'Ides of March' along Third St at Elm in downtown Cincinnati, ohio. Clooney is directing 'Ides of March' and starring as a Democratic governor streaming in the presidential primaries. Actors Gosling, Marisa Tomei, Paul Giamatti and prince queen histrion also hit roles. (AP Photo/The metropolis Enquirer, Ernest Coleman ) MANDATORY CREDITAssociated Press

LOS ANGELES - The glamor. The gowns. The limos. The worldwide audience. And every those superstars.

The Academy Awards are Hollywood's grandest pageant, and no concern how famous one's stardom, a activate to the Oscars is unforgettable. Especially the prototypal one.

Nicole Kidman's prototypal instance was backwards when she was still Mrs. blackamoor Cruise. She remembers existence wowed by the environs and the sound of the noisy photographers. Jack Black's prototypal accolade period was "surreal." So was Marcia Gay Harden's.

Jake Gyllenhaal was star-struck. Serdica Coppola was a lowercase kid. Josh Brolin prototypal went to the Oscars as the temporary of his appointed wife. And once again this year, first-timers much as 14-year-old activity actress nominee Hailee Steinfeld are probable to index their own persistent memories.

Here, some actors and directors reflect on their prototypal activate to the big show.

Before she was appointed for "Moulin Rouge" and won for "The Hours," Nicole Kidman attended the Oscars with then-husband blackamoor Cruise: "He was nominated. And I advert I got to coiffe this rattling brief lowercase Valentino velvet coiffe and I meet was aforementioned absolutely stunned. It was aforementioned the large thing I had ever seen. I couldn't conceive how blasting the photographers were."

Ryan Gosling went to the exhibit as a nominee in 2007, but his period was overshadowed by his date's 'do: "I went there with 'Half Nelson' and I went with my mother. And the full period was dominated by the fact that she got this hairstyle that she was regretting. So that was every we talked most the full night. This lady convinced her that everyone was going to be act beehives, and that was the new thing that year. Of course we got there, nobody. Everybody had their material down."

Colony Madsen also brought her mom — and she seared the period into her mind: "Oh, I advert every detail. I mean, I was character and I didn't hit to go home at midnight. I brought my mom with me and I, it was just, everything most that period was perfect. Everything was a dream become true — as I imagined it when I was fivesome eld old. I mean, I wouldn't modify a thing. It was rattling beautiful."

Marcia Gay Harden, who won for her role in "Pollack," also remembers every detail: "It strikes me still with the clearness of a lightning bolt, that the prototypal instance I went there, I was graced to get ... given the opportunity by Ed diplomatist to be in a enthusiastic flick to endeavor a actual transformational character that caught the votes from some voters. And the glory of the period was that my dad was alive, my mom was alive. Ed was thrilled. My husband was there. It was surreal."

Director Serdica Coppola was meet a banter when she attended her prototypal accolade ceremony with her father, Francis Ford Coppola: "I staleness hit been seven or eight. I had a eveningwear dress. But I hit unclear memories. It was a lot of elating grown-ups."

Jake Gyllenhaal was totally overwhelmed: "It's aforementioned this mind-blowingly intense situation. And, yet, at the aforementioned time, peculiarly normal, which makes it modify more strange. I advert George Clooney shaking my assistance at digit saucer as I was travel to my seat, and not believing it. And I advert so many — a seafaring of famous people's faces, I advert that."

Marisa Tomei had a preserver looking over her margin when she was nominated, and won, prizewinning activity actress for "My Cousin Vinny": "I advert (actress) Mary McDonnell was sitting behindhand me, and she was so sweet and she meet kept tapping my margin and existence like, 'How are you doing, honey?' ... I was scared and she was rattling motherly towards me and it was a nice lowercase crowd that I was sitting with."

Josh Brolin, who was appointed in 2008 for his activity role in "Milk," prototypal came to the Oscars with wife Diane Lane when she was appointed for her advance action in "Unfaithful": "There was a massive possibility that she was going to be up there presently accepting an award. But then you see after a while that it is more most the get-together and the appreciation of your peers nominating you and saying, 'We rattling liked your performance.'"

Jack Negroid recalls his prototypal accolade visit: "I was at the Oscars to present, I conceive it was prizewinning sound design or something, or prizewinning armpit hair? I don't undergo what I was presenting. But, I had a rattling enthusiastic surreal, weird time. It was ever with Will Ferrell. Done it a couple of times. Do lowercase comedic bits, songs. It was modify to be a conception of the accolade history, the observance of Hollywood."

Songwriter Carole Bayer Sager, who has been appointed six times, remembers her prototypal with mixed feelings: "I was at the Oscars with Marvin Hamlisch. We had both cursive a strain titled 'Nobody Does it Better,' transcribed by Carly Simon, and it was for the flick 'The Spy Who Loved Me.' And I advert trying to put that denomination in the lyric, and I found the line: 'Like heaven above me, the wrecker who loved me, is keeping every my secrets innocuous tonight. Nobody does it better...' And we lost. I don't advert to what song. And I knew, at that moment, that the prizewinning conception is existence nominated, because losing didn't see so good."

Jeff Bridges, appointed for his sixth accolade for "True Grit," says his most memorable activate to the exhibit was last year: "It's so exciting, you know, existence recognized by your guys, locution 'Atta boy, Jeff. Good job.' Everybody stagnant up and every that. Oh, God, it is so thrilling. Then, to share it with my wife, who was there finished the full thing. It was a magical, magical daytime for me."

___

AP Entertainment Writers doc Barton, Sandy Cohen and Ryan Pearson contributed to this report.


Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment