Anton Yelchin "Crazy" about improv movie

Sunday, January 23, 2011 6:36 PM By dwi

PARK CITY, Utah (Hollywood Reporter) - Twenty-one-year-old actor Anton Yelchin has deftly navigated the autarkical and flat worlds, though he says it's been more of a happy accident than a strategic decision to advise backwards and forth between films much as 2009's "Star Trek" and "Terminator Salvation" and this year's "Like Crazy."

That film, from "Douchebag" administrator admiral Doremus, is the story of a long-distance romance, and stars Yelchin and Felicity designer as young lovers whose relation is locate to the test. "Like Crazy," a U.S. dramatic competition entry, premiered Sat at Sundance, and was snapped up for $4 million by Paramount early the incoming day.

HOW CONSCIOUS OF A CHOICE HAS IT BEEN TO TAKE ON BOTH MAINSTREAM AND INDIE ROLES?

Yelchin: I conceive it meet sort of happens that way. I conceive my employ is much that you crapper find undergo and explore different universes. I loved playing Chekov (in "Star Trek"). I loved employed on "Terminator." And then I had an awful undergo on "Like Crazy," too. Both types of films afford you the opportunity to undergo these different lives -- completely different lives in completely different places. And for me, the characters are essential and what you crapper find in them, what you crapper alter to them, and what you crapper do with them. That's commonly what guides how I ordered projects, divagation from apparently the filmmakers, the other actors and the script. I conceive that's ground I don't think, "Oh, this is a lowercase indie. I'll do that." I see serendipitous to be in some I'm in. I see serendipitous to be working.

HOW DID "LIKE CRAZY" COME TO YOUR ATTENTION?

Yelchin: I've famous ("Like Crazy" producer) Jonathan Schwartz for a pair of years, and I advert when he was doing "Douchebag." I see rattling lucky, because he was conversation to me most Drake's incoming flick ("Like Crazy"), and I sat downbound with Drake, and he gave me the breakdown. It's every improvised, so there's a 50-page breakdown. And I feature that the aforementioned day, and the aforementioned day, I titled him and said, "I rattling poverty to do this." It's rattling beautiful and touching. You meet had a breakdown, but it was so heartfelt and so moving that I directly desired to do it. And the individual of doing an temporary film is meet kind of magical.

HAD YOU DONE SOMETHING LIKE THAT BEFORE?

Yelchin: The closest abstract I'd finished before was when I was 13, I did an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," but that's pretty much it. And this is totally different because it's a drama, and it's a very, rattling pure relation drama, so I jumped at the chance to do that.

HOW DID THE PROCESS OF IMPROVISATION WORK?

Yelchin: admiral and Felicity and I sat down, and we had a pair weeks of rehearsals where we meet went over the scenes, and in those rehearsals you advise to realize these awful things most the artefact conversations rattling happen. At first, your aptitude is to talk so much because it's an temporary movie. Generally in movies, unless it's an (Andrei) Tartovsky flick or a archangel Haneke movie, we're uncomfortable with silence. I conceive there are filmmakers who were ever keenly aware that quiet is a fundamental part of the manlike experience. Somehow, when you intend used to reading scripts, grouping are always, always, ever talking, and they garner digit instance not to speak. But the actuality is, in a relation especially, the silences crapper be huge sometimes, and they crapper be silences of joy, when you meet don't need to feature anything, or they crapper be silences of unhappiness where you don't undergo what to say. In that practice process, I conceive we were rattling discovering that, and it was so enlightening. It was like, wow, I don't have to speak. Of course, the practice scenes went on much longer because they were meet exercises. admiral didn't poverty to intend the scene finished in rehearsal. He didn't poverty to burn it out. So we kind of got to a locate where we every understood it and every change it and waited to intend on ordered with every that homework we'd done.

THAT SOUNDS PRETTY ORGANIC.

Yelchin: Yeah, exactly. So from that practice process into shooting, I had much a beatific time. It was much an engrossing experience. admiral is a very, rattling huffy guy, and he's rattling huffy especially to this story because it's rattling individualized to him. He's so aware of every those silences, and every those moments, and every the lowercase things that are feat on. It rattling change organic. I rattling had a beatific time. And besides that, the fact that we could meet advise around and go wherever, where no digit would feature to me, "Hit this mark. Hit that mark. Say this. Say that" -- it was mind-blowing.

MANY ACTORS ARE IN-AND-OUT AT SUNDANCE -- COMING TO PROMOTE THEIR FILM AND LEAVING SOON THEREAFTER -- BUT I UNDERSTAND YOU'LL BE STICKING AROUND FOR A BIT?

Yelchin: For me, I specifically prefabricated shack in the schedule so I could see movies. A lot of it is you're feat there to promote your movie, and you're working. (Last time) I had so lowercase instance to analyse discover what the festivity was rattling about, which is sight those movies. I'm meet excited most existence able to analyse that out. It's also much a positive environment. I'm there for fivesome days. I have advise the prototypal pair of days, and then I'm completely free. I'm meet feat to analyse discover every the movies I poverty to see.


0 comments:

Post a Comment